Best iPhone Smartphone Cases 2018
Apple iPhone smartphones are excellent pieces of kit but as they’re constructed from glass, they can be rather easy to break so popping your iPhone in a case is always recommended.
There are numerous different types of cases available, all of them offering differing levels of protection, with even the budget cases providing some protection in the form of protecting the back, sides, and corners from scratches.
To help you choose an iPhone case that’s right for you and your smartphone, we have listed several different types below.
Here’s a run-down of the different types of cases:
- Budget – Budget, “TPU” (Thermoplastic polyurethane) – often soft, squishy, and protective, but also thin, and cheap, making them a good option if you don’t want scratches on your phone.
- Official cases are available from Apple, and are often more expensive, but can offer premium features, such as a leather finish, and matching colours.
- Protective – go beyond the budget cases to give additional protection, popular brands include Spigen and Otterbox.
- Extra tough – often feature dual layers of protection, with a soft inner core, with a tougher external shell.
- Wallet – with this you get both a back and front protection but can mean slower access to the screen, and at times, these don’t provide top/bottom or corner protection for the phone.
- Sports (running) case – designed to let you strap your phone to your arm, letting you be active, Spigen make a universal case which makes it excellent value for money.
- Waterproof – Universal waterproof case for smartphones up to 6inches, recommended for underwater use because even though most premium smartphones are now waterproof, they open have exposed ports, such as the USB connection and headphone jack.
Other options include a “skin” that simply protects from scratches, as well as “ultra-thin” cases, however, we haven’t linked to these as they are mostly aesthetic, rather than providing much protection for your smartphone.
If you want to, you can purchase/find more information about each case listed by clicking the green/blue Amazon buttons featured below each product. It doesn’t cost you anything extra when you press our Amazon buttons but by using our Amazon Affiliate links when ordering anything online, you are supporting the site – thank you.
Jump straight to your phone: iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 / 7S, iPhone 7 / 7S Plus, iPhone 6 / 6S, iPhone 6 / 6S Plus, iPhone SE. You can use the above key to find the type of case you’re looking for then click the corresponding button under the iPhone that you own.
If you’re a Samsung smartphone owner looking for a case, you need to head over to our ‘Best Samsung Galaxy S9, S8, S7 Cases‘ round-up.
The iPhone X is priced at almost £1000 so you’re going to want to protect it well and that’s where rugged cases come in. The Rugged Tough X-Armor Hard Case Cover is popular over on Amazon and it combines TPU and polycarbonate materials to provide full back and side protection. Various colour options are available.
The iPhone 8 is a more compact iPhone so you’re going to need a smaller case than what fits the iPhone X. As you can imagine, there are plenty of choices but if you want something that looks smart, won’t break the bank and can also be used as a stand, the TUCCH iPhone 8 case could be a good choice.
A trusted brand, OtterBox creates many case designs but this one is particularly popular with iPhone 8 Plus owners. It’s easy to fit and comes in a wide variety of colours.
If you’re looking for something that’s a bit more trendy for your iPhone 7, this leather offering from Snakehive could be what you’re looking for. Available in a variety of colours, there’s room for cards and it also has a built-in stand.
This protective case for the iPhone 7 Plus is constructed from TPU and polycarbonate bumpers, giving your smartphone a snug but secure fit. It won’t show fingerprints or smudges and buttons are still easy to access.
The Carbon armour slim series from OWM designed to protect your iPhone without adding much bulk with its slim design. It’s also got a rubberised texture to prevent your phone from slipping out of your hand and comes with a free screen protector.
The Spigen smartphone band is a universal sports phone case that features a key pocket, adjustable strap and fits the 6 Plus easily. As well as wearing it in the gym or while out running, you could use one to keep your phone safe and hands-free while out taking photos.
This is a certified military grade case so you know your phone will be protected when it’s fitted. It comes with all the protective features like Air Cushion Corners and Spiderweb patterned anti-stretch TPU for extra shock absorption against drops.
The “YOSH” waterproof smartphone case, works with any smartphone up to 6inches, including the iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus. It’s great value for money and keeps sand, dust, dirt and water away from your smartphone.
iPhone Screen Protector
Most cases don’t offer protection for your glass screen so you might want to also invest in a screen protector. A wide range is available at a variety of prices but one of the most popular over on Amazon UK is for the iPhone 6, 6S and 7 smartphones from iSOUL.
Still trying to decide which smartphone is best for photography?