Pappalikai poriyal, unripe papaya poriyal recipe
Pappalikai poriyal recipe, south Indian accompaniment for rice is made with green papaya (unripe) and other simple ingredients.
I have never tasted pappalikai in my life. Couple of years back only realized we can cook as accompaniment in south Indian menu. I don’t know why we have never cooked unripe papaya though we almost always had papaya tree in our backyard. So wanted to try it out, though I had doubt what happens to the paal, would it be bad for us (the milk like thing that leaks when we cut). I peeled the skin, discarded the seeds, cut into strips and washed in water before chopping. For poriyal, I thought I will make the same way as I prepare brinjal poriyal, but adapted the recipe from Palakkad chamayal blog since this is the first time, I was not sure if it would get cooked soon or not. Thought the recipe is similar to brinjal poriyal, the coconut mixture is added at the end unlike my recipe. Also I love coconut oil so adapted that recipe.
- Cut papaya into two, slit into two. Eliminate the skin by slicing off the skin.
- Further cut the papaya in lengthwise, reducing it to strips. Slice off the seed part. Then chop into cubes.
- Heat a kadai with oil, splutter mustard, add urad dal followed by curry leaves. Add chopped papaya, turmeric, salt. Cook for 4 minutes in oil stir frying.
- Meanwhile grind coconut with green chilli and cumin seeds. By now the papaya would have been 3/4th cooked. Add little water and cook covered for 2 more minutes.
- Once cooked, add ground coconut mixture and mix. Switch off the flame.
Serve as accompaniment with rice, sambar/ kuzhambu.