Green Chile Potato Soup – Chef in Training
This Green Chile Potato Soup is creamy, rich and has a wonderful kick of flavor. The green chiles provide a slight kick of heat which is quickly cooled down with the creamy base and hearty potatoes. This will be a winter staple and a new family favorite.
Soup Season is in full force at my house. I LOVE soup and lucky for me, so do my kids. Zupas is one of my absolute favorite places to eat. One of my current favorite soups on their menu is their green chile potato soup. Because I don’t live close to a Zupas, I knew I needed to recreate a version of that soup for these long winter months and this recipe satisfies that craving.
This soup is creamy, hearty and packed with flavor. This will be one that I will want to make over and over again and I am sure you will too!
Green Chile Potato Soup
Recipe type: Dinner
- 3 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2 cups diced green cabbage
- 20 ounces frozen corn
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 24 ounces green chilies
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 to 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2½ teaspoons chicken bouillon
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and add potatoes and cabbage. Boil until just fork tender. Drain potatoes and cabbage and set aside. You want the potatoes to still be a little firm because they will cook longer in the soup.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and then spray it with cooking spray.
- Spread corn evenly over cookie sheet and roast in oven for about 7 minutes. Keep an eye on to make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large cooking pot melt 2 Tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. Add onions and green chilies. Sauté until tender.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add heavy cream, milk, cumin, salt, pepper, chicken bouillon, and Cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and corn and bring to a boil again.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve with tortilla strips.