Traveling In Adult Diapers
There is a misconception that most people with incontinence are older, ill, and even home bound. It may come as a surprise to learn that many people with incontinence lead full and active lives. They work, socialize, and travel. However, each of these activities poses several different challenges when it comes to incontinence management. If you are an incontinence sufferer and want to travel, there are guidelines that can help you to effectively manage your incontinence and still enjoy getting out in the world. These guidelines will help you to be confident in managing your incontinence and still be able to leave home and enjoy travel. Here is what you need to know about traveling in adult diapers.
• Choose a super absorbent adult diaper – Even if you are currently using a lighter adult diaper, you may want to consider using a super absorbent adult diaper while you are traveling. There are certain adult diapers that can be highly absorbent for up to 8 hours. You may even want to consider wearing an overnight adult diaper while you are getting to your destination. The reason for this is simple, most likely there will not be the kind of restroom access that you are used to. This will help to keep you dry and comfortable until you can access a restroom.
• Make sure the fit is exactly right – If you decided to switch to another adult diaper while traveling, you will need to make sure that the fit is as good as possible. Many people overlook the fact that fit is an integral part of the protection of their adult diaper. If you do not have the right fit for your adult diaper then you will not be getting the protection you need while you travel and this can be disastrous.
• Take a supply with you – Some people make the mistake of not wanting to pack a supply of diapers to take with them while they travel. This is never a good idea. You should not assume that your normal diapers and other incontinence supplies will be available at your destination. You may end up finding that your destination does not have what you need and you will be forced to use something else. Guard against this and plan to take a supply of diapers with you when you go, in order to feel confident that you have what you need to effectively manage your incontinence.
• Maintain your normal skin care routine – Long plane and car rides can be damaging to the delicate skin that can be affected by incontinence. You will need to make sure that you maintain your normal skin care routine where you are. Do not lapse on this since this increase the chances that you can contract diaper rash and even more serious infections. Taking your regular skin care creams and other protective cream bars with you will help you to take care of your skin; no matter where you travel.
• Have a plan where you go – Because you will be out of your regular routine, you need to have a plan where you go. This will allow you to be confident in your efforts to manage your incontinence. Many people with incontinence use the internet to check on the availability of restrooms and other changing rooms in every mode of transportation they will be using and every venue that they will be visiting. This allows you to make a plan that will have you ready to deal with changing your adult diaper when you need to and then quickly getting back to the fun of travel.