Monkey Bread Muffins – Chef in Training
These Monkey Bread Muffins are made from scratch. They are perfectly coated in butter, cinnamon and sugar. These are individually sized and perfect for breakfasts or brunch.
Monkey Bread has long since been one of my favorite breakfasts. I love cinnamon rolls and monkey bread is a fun take.
WHERE DOES MONKEY BREAD GET ITS NAME FROM?
Monkey bread gets its name because it is a finger food.
The recipe for Monkey Bread Muffins has caramel sauce that is buttery cinnamon-sugar goodness. These melt in your mouth and are insanely delicious.
If you are looking for a yummy breakfast or brunch idea these are perfection. They are great for serving a crowd or storing and reheating for another day. My entire family LOVES these and I know yours will too.
Monkey Bread Muffins
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup butter melted butter
- 2 egg
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, give or take
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- Warm the milk in the microwave, about 1½ minutes.
- Add melted butter.
- In a stand mixer, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt and whisk together. Add water, eggs and milk mixture. Mix until combined. Add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. You may need a little more or less depending on you altitude. The dough should be slightly sticky to the touch.
- After dough has formed, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, it will take just a few minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 50 to 60 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
- Grease 2 (12-count) muffin tins and set aside.
- Melt butter and brown sugar together in a small bowl and whisk together until it comes together well.
- Spoon 1 to 2 Tablespoons of caramel sauce into the bottom of muffin tin.
- In a large ziplock bag, combine sugar and cinnamon and shake until blended.
- When dough has doubled in size, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and press it out into a large rectangle. Use a pizza cutter dough into ½-inch size pieces.
- Place the pieces, several at a time, in the sugar mixture and then place them into the muffin tins. Fill the muffin tins with about 8-10 pieces and gently press down. Fill until it is a little or ¾ of the way full.
- Cover prepared muffins and proof for about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let muffins sit in muffin tin for 3 minutes and then gently loosen the muffins with a knife and invert the muffins onto a wire rack.
- Combine frosting ingredients and drizzle over monkey bread muffins if you desire.