Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup with Spinach
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is the perfect comfort food and so easy to make!
Have dinner ready and on the table in no time with a pot of our Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup! Deliciously creamy and full of rich flavour, you will love this just as much as our Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup. A classic Tomato Soup made even better with the addition of soft pillows of pasta. Definitely a tasty change from the typical pasta in sauce recipe.
TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP WITH SPINACH
Loaded with fresh tomatoes, basil, parmesan cheese and tender cheese-filled pasta, this tortellini soup is a busy weeknight lifesaver! Especially if you have a packet of dry tortellini in your pantry. Cheese tortellini pairs so perfectly well in this tomato soup BUT you can use any flavour you like. Make it your own!
Our whole family LOVES this tortellini soup… for lunch OR dinner. Then, leftovers are just as good!
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
Some soups need to simmer for hours before they’re ready, while others come together in no time!
All you need to do in a large pot:
- Sauté your onion and garlic.
- Let the tomatoes cook until they release their juices before mixing in the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer soup for about 15 minutes before stirring through some half and half (or heavy cream) and tortellini.
- Let your tortellini simmer until JUST cooked, then add parmesan cheese, spinach and basil. DONE!
- Enjoy while dunking a piece of garlic bread right into the richness!
Prep this soup ahead of time and cook the tomato soup first without adding your pasta. Cool, refrigerate, then reheat when ready to serve and add your tortellini!
DRIED, FROZEN OR FRESH TORTELLINI
This is such a very forgiving recipe that you can use either dried, frozen or fresh. If you prefer fresh, reduce cooking time by only a few minutes without worrying about altering the taste! If using frozen, keep in mind it will cool down your soup slightly and take longer to bring to a simmer.
You can also make it vegetarian by using vegetable stock or broth instead of chicken.
HOW LONG WILL TORTELLINI SOUP LAST?
Cool tortellini soup completely before pouring into airtight containers or freezer bags. Soup will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, or up to 2 months in the freezer.
LOOKING FOR MORE SOUP RECIPES? TRY THESE!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is perfect comfort food and so easy to make! Have dinner ready and on the table in no time.
Serves: 6 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz (790 g) diced tomatoes (or 6 fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Italian dried herbs, (or seasoning)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
— adjust to suit your taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 oz (790 g) jar tomato puree (Passata)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 9oz (250 g) packet cheese tortellini (I use dried not fresh; choose any flavour you like)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly torn or chopped
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft, then add garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
Add tomatoes, Italian herbs (or seasoning) and chili flakes if using. Let tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes until juices have released and mixed through the flavours in the pot, then mix through chicken stock, tomato puree and tomato paste.
Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Partially cover pot with a lid; bring to a simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
Stir in the cream and tortellini, cook on medium-low until tortellini is just cooked, (about 6-7 minutes). Add the parmesan cheese, spinach and basil; stir until wilted. Serve warm.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Iron: 5mg